Calcium, Blood Test
- Direct-to-consumer lab testing; No doctor referral or insurance necessary
- 4,500+ conveniently located CLIA-certified U.S. labs
- Comprehensive and easy-to-use website
- Most Results in 1-3 days
- 110% price guarantee
About Our Calcium, Blood Test
Note: Fasting is not required for this test.
Calcium is a mineral that plays an important role in bone health, blood clotting, muscle contraction and sending nerve signals. Normal calcium levels help to ensure proper bone and teeth formation and growth. If the body is deficient in calcium, it will start to absorb this mineral from the bones and teeth to fill its need, causing brittle bones and teeth. If the body has an overabundance of calcium, it can cause adrenal gland problems.
This blood test is used to determine calcium levels. It is often used to help monitor conditions of the bones, teeth, heart, nerves, and kidneys, as well as individuals with parathyroid or thyroid disorders.
Deficient calcium levels (hypocalcemia) can lead to:
- Tingling/Numbess in fingers
- Muscle cramps
- Mental Confusion
- Malformations of the skeleton
Major sources of calcium are dairy products and other food:
- Fortified cereals and juices
- Tofu and other soy products
Calcium deficiency can be more prevalent in people who:
- Have an allergy to milk or a lactose intolerance
- Are postmenopausal women
- Have insufficient levels of vitamin D and magnesium