Cytomegalovirus (CMV) IgG Antibody Test
- Secure and Confidential Results
- Over 4,500 CLIA-Certified Labs U.S. Labs
- Most Results in 1-3 Days
- 110% Price Guarantee
About Our Cytomegalovirus (CMV) IgG Antibody Test
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a common virus that can infect almost anyone. Most people don't know they have CMV because it rarely causes symptoms. However, if you're pregnant or have a weakened immune system, CMV can be serious or even life-threatening for your unborn baby or for you.
Testing for IgG antibodies to CMV can be beneficial for several reasons:
- Pregnancy Screening: If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, knowing your CMV IgG status can be crucial. If you have positive IgG antibodies, it means you have been infected with CMV in the past and have some immunity against the virus. If you have negative IgG antibodies, you're susceptible to a primary infection which, if happens during pregnancy, can potentially lead to congenital CMV infection in the newborn, potentially causing hearing loss, vision loss, intellectual disability, and seizures.
- Determining Immune Status: For people with weakened immune systems, such as organ transplant recipients or those with HIV, knowing your CMV IgG status can help your doctor understand your risk of developing CMV disease.
- Diagnosing Past Infection: CMV IgG antibody testing can be used in combination with IgM testing to help determine if a person has had a recent or past CMV infection.
- Occupational Screening: If you work in an environment where you're likely to come into contact with CMV (such as a daycare or hospital), you might want to know your CMV IgG status to understand your risk of infection.