Hepatitis B Core Antibody Test, IgM
- Direct-to-consumer lab testing; No doctor referral or insurance necessary
- 4,500+ conveniently located CLIA-certified U.S. labs
- Comprehensive and easy-to-use website
- Most Results in 1-3 days
- 110% price guarantee
About Our Hepatitis B Core Antibody Test, IgM
Note: Fasting is not required for this test.
This blood test detects IgM antibodies to hepatitis B core antigen (IgM anti-HBc) to indicate an acute hepatitis B infection. After infection with HBV, the IgM antibody is the first antibody produced by the body to fight off the virus.
The recommended minimum window period for Hepatitis B Core Antibody, IgM is:
- 6 weeks post potential exposure; hepatitis B can occasionally be detected as early as 3 weeks post-exposure. For the most accurate results, we recommend getting tested after 6 weeks.
What does a positive or reactive hepatitis B core antibody result mean?
A positive or reactive result can indicate that the individual has had a hepatitis B infection within the last 6 months.
What is Hepatitis B?
The Hepatitis B virus is contagious and causes hepatitis B, one of five known types of hepatitis (liver swelling). Hepatitis B can either be acute (short-term and mild) or asymptomatic or chronic (a life-long infection). Chronic hepatitis B impacts liver function, which may potentially be fatal. Hepatitis B is preventable through vaccination.
How is Hepatitis B spread?
Hepatitis B is spread when infected bodily fluids such as blood, semen, or vaginal fluid enters the body, which can happen during:
- Sharing needles (like during intravenous drug use or unsterilized needles in tattooing)
- Unprotected sexual intercourse
- Sharing personal care items like razors or toothbrushes
- Birth to an infected mother
- Sharing a household with a chronically infected individual
- Human bites from a hepatitis B-infected person
- Needle sticks exposures of healthcare workers
HBV can survive for at least seven days outside of the body and still be able to cause infection.
Hepatitis B symptoms can include:
- Abdominal pain
- Dark urine
- Clay-colored bowel movements
- Joint pain
Same Day Testing
Know your Hepatitis B status by testing today. By ordering online, you can go in at your earliest convenience during the lab’s hours of operations. Choose from one of 4,500 CLIA-certified lab locations. Sample collection takes about 5 minutes and you will receive an email or text when results are available to view inside your online account.