Order Your Test
Online or by phone, no doctors referral required
Visit A Local Lab
Get tested locally at one of our 4,500+ labs
Get Your Results
Receive your lab results within 1-3 business days!
Magnesium, Blood Serum Test
- Secure and Confidential Results
- Over 4,500 CLIA-Certified Labs U.S. Labs
- Most Results in 1-3 Days
- 110% Price Guarantee
About Our Magnesium, Blood Serum Test
This test evaluates the level of magnesium in the blood's serum for deficiency or toxicity.
Magnesium is a mineral that plays an important role in many biochemical reactions including your heartbeat, nerve and muscle function, bone development, energy production, glucose and blood pressure regulation and protein synthesis.
The Magnesium Serum Test is often used to monitor individuals with kidney disorders or disease, or to evaluate individuals with symptoms of malnutrition or malabsorption.
Deficient magnesium levels can lead to:
- Muscle cramps/spasms/tremors
- Decreased reflexes
- Heart block
- Inexplicably low calcium levels
- Loss of appetite
- Heart arrhythmia
Magnesium levels that are high can be a sign of:
- Renal (kidney) failure
- Ingesting large amount of antacids
- Addison disease
- Pregnant patients with pre-eclampsia or eclampsia on anticonvulsant drugs
Magnesium deficiency can be more prevalent in people who:
- Drink caffeinated drinks or alcohol often
- Have malabsorption of vitamin D, which aids in magnesium absorption
- Are uncontrolled diabetics
- Eat a lot of refined sugar, which causes the body to excrete magnesium through the kidneys
- Have Bartter syndrome or Gitelman syndrome
- Are on corticosteroids
Major dietary magnesium sources include:
- Leafy green vegetables like spinach
- Pumpkin seeds
- Nuts and seeds
- Whole grains
© 2023 HealthLabs.com All rights reserved.
Made with by the people at Analyte Health