Manganese, Urine Test
- Secure and Confidential Results
- Over 4,500 CLIA-Certified Labs U.S. Labs
- Most Results in 1-3 Days
- 110% Price Guarantee
About Our Manganese, Urine Test
Manganese is a mineral that plays a key role in forming connective tissue, sex hormones, making blood clotting factors, bone health, wound healing and central nervous system function. Manganese is also essential for the absorption of calcium, as well as glucose regulation, carbohydrate, fat, cholesterol and amino acid metabolism.
Chronic exposure to manganese (as in industrial settings) may cause effects on the central nervous system.
Toxic exposure may occur from dry cells, fungicide (maneb), and in the steel or chemical industries. Manganese is present in the coloring agents for glass and soap, in paints, varnish and enamel, and in linoleum.
It is used in the manufacturing of chlorine gas and in lead-free gasoline. Industrial manganese poisoning has been recognized since 1837.
This urine test is also used in following individualize manganese-dosing in long-term parenteral nutrition and to follow the success of chelation therapy with para-aminosalicylate sodium in manganism.
Manganese levels that are too high can lead to:
- Mouth and throat dryness
- Muscle pains/cramps
- Hearing loss/impairment
- Personality change
Deficient manganese levels can lead to:
- Impaired glucose tolerance
- Altered carbohydrate and fat metabolism
- Skeletal abnormalities/Loss of mineralization in bones
- Rashes on skin
- Iron-deficiency anemia
- Increased blood calcium levels
- Elevated phosphorus and alkaline phosphatase levels
- Nausea and vomiting
Major dietary sources of manganese include:
- Dark, leafy greens
- Sweet potatoes
- Nuts and seeds
- Egg yolks
- Whole grains
- Some herbs and spices including cinnamon, thyme, peppermint and syrup/molasses
Manganese deficiency can be more prevalent in people who:
- Sweat excessively
- Use antacids
- Use oral contraceptives
- Have malabsorption issues
- Have excess copper, iron or magnesium
- Have eliminated manganese from their diet completely
- Have chronic liver or gallbladder disorders