Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) Test
- Direct-to-consumer lab testing; No doctor referral or insurance necessary
- 4,500+ conveniently located CLIA-certified U.S. labs
- Comprehensive and easy-to-use website
- Most Results in 1-3 days
- 110% price guarantee
About Our Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) Test
Note: Fasting is not required for this test.
Sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) is a glycoprotein, a carrier protein that binds to testosterone and estradiol. This blood test is used to evaluate overall hormone levels.
Testosterone, dihydrotestosterone and estrogens circulate in serum bound to Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG). SHBG concentrations are increased in pregnancy, hyperthyroidism, cirrhosis, oral estrogen administration and by certain drugs. Ovaries and adrenal glands produce testosterone in women and even minor shifts in testosterone levels can exhibit a variety of symtpoms ranging from infertility to irregular periods. SHBG levels in men can help identify causes of decreased sex drive and even erectile dysfunction. Concentrations are decreased by testosterone, hypothyroidism, Cushings syndrome, acromegaly and obesity.
High Levels of SHBG Are Often Found in Women When:
- There this excessive body hair growth
- There is an increased in masculine features/characteristics
- A women is obese and postmenopausal
- There is diffuse hair loss
Increased Levels for Both Men and Women May Result From:
- Male hypogonadism
- Testicular feminization
- Women using oral contraceptives