Total Testosterone Test Popular
- Direct-to-consumer lab testing; No doctor referral or insurance necessary
- 4,500+ conveniently located CLIA-certified U.S. labs
- Comprehensive and easy-to-use website
- Most Results in 1-3 days
- 110% price guarantee
About Our Total Testosterone Test
Note: Fasting is not required for this test.
This blood test measures testosterone, a human sex hormone, for levels that are too high or too low. The Total Testosterone test measures all three types of testosterone in the blood as a whole (free testosterone, SHBG-bound testosterone, and albumin-bound testosterone) in one reading. This test does not give individual levels of each form of testosterone, and only gives a measurement in the form of total, overall testosterone.
Testosterone testing is used to evaluate androgen excess or deficiency related to gonadal function, adrenal function, or tumor activity. Testosterone levels may be helpful in men for the diagnosis of hypogonadism, hypopituitarism, Klinefelter syndrome, and impotence (low values).
Testosterone levels may be requested in women to investigate the cause of hirsutism, anovulation, amenorrhea, virilization, masculinizing tumors of the ovary, tumors of the adrenal cortices, and congenital adrenal hyperplasia (high values).
Reduced levels of testosterone in men can lead to:
- Decrease in libido/sex drive
- Erectile dysfunction
- Decreased muscle tone
- Increase in body fat/enlarged breasts
Women should consider testing if:
- They are concerned about infertility
- Have thinning scalp hair
- Have heavy vaginal bleeding
- Experience low libido
- Have menopausal women
- Irregular or missed periods
- Have unusual bouts of acne or facial/body hair growth