Vitamin B12 Test
Direct-to-consumer lab testing; No doctor referral or insurance necessary
2,000+ conveniently located CLIA-certified U.S. labs
Comprehensive and easy-to-use website
Outstanding customer service
110% price guarantee
Results in 1-3 days
About Our Vitamin B12 Test
Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin) plays an important role in the normal functioning of the central nervous system, metabolism, and the formation of red blood cells. Deficiencies in vitamin B12 can lead to nerve damage and specific cases of anemia in which red blood cells are larger than average and the level of hemoglobin in the blood are deficient, called macrocyotic anemia.
Malnutrition or conditions that can cause an individual to have poor absorption of nutrients like celiac disease, Crohn's disease, alcoholism or intestinal or gastrointestinal disorders may have low levels of Vitamin B12.
Deficient vitamin B12 levels can lead to:
- Balance loss and/or weakness
- Numbness or tingling in the limbs
Major sources of vitamin B12 are typically animal sources like:
- Organ meats
- Meat, poultry, eggs milk and other dairy foods
- Some grain cereals and yeasts also provide vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 deficiency can be more prevalent in people who are:
- Over the age of 50
- Vegetarians and vegans
- Gastrointestinal surgery patients or those with gastrointestinal disorders
- Living with digestive disorders like Crohn's disease or celiac disease
Fasting prior to the B12 test is preferred, but not required.