Vitamin B3 (Niacin) Test
- Direct-to-consumer lab testing; No doctor referral or insurance necessary
- 4,500+ conveniently located CLIA-certified U.S. labs
- Comprehensive and easy-to-use website
- Most Results in 1-3 days
- 110% price guarantee
About Our Vitamin B3 (Niacin) Test
Note: Fasting is not required for this test.
This blood test is used to determine Vitamin B3 (Niacin) deficiencies.
Like all B vitamins, niacin (vitamin B3, also known as nicotinic acid) plays a role in converting carbohydrates into glucose, metabolizing fats and proteins, and keeping the nervous system working properly. Niacin also helps the body make sex-related and stress-related hormones and improves circulation and cholesterol levels.
Your liver can convert tryptophan, an amino acid from high-protein foods like meats and milk, into niacin.
Symptoms of mild niacin/vitamin B3 deficiency include:
- Canker sores
Serious deficiency of vitamin B3 is called pellegra and can result in death. Pellegra includes more serious symptoms like:
- Thick, scaly pigmented rash on skin exposed to sunlight
- Swollen mouth and bright red tongue
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Apathy and/or depression
- Memory loss
Good sources of niacin include:
- Red meat
- Fortified breads and cereals
- Enriched pasta